What is an E-2 Visa

E-2 Visa for ESL teachers (1/7) | Jane
Published Jan 19, 2022

E-2 Visa for ESL teachers (1/7)

What is an E-2 VISA?

E-2 visas are issued to foreigners who meet the qualifications set by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Korea. With an E-2 visa, you can offer foreign language guidance to foreign language academies, elementary schools, educational institutes, affiliated language research centers, broadcasting centers, and corporate language training. 


1. Conversation guidance concept

  • This refers to teaching how to communicate with each other at foreign language centers, corporate, and other educational institutes.  
  • Teaching a specific subject, literature, or translation does not qualify as a conversation guidance activity. (e.g., teaching English at an international school is not classified under conversation guidance activity 

2. Place of work

  • Foreign language academies, Elementary schools, educational institutes, Affiliated language research centers, Broadcasting Companies, Corporates, and other Organizations.
  • These institutes must have language training permission from the government. 

3. Length of stay

  • The maximum length of stay is 2 years + 1month at a time.

Qualifications and requirements for native instructors.

The following are qualifications for instructors who can offer conversation training guidance.  
 1.    Foreign language academies.

  • A citizen from a native speaking language who has obtained a bachelor’s degree or has an equal or higher educational background. 
  • In the case of English. A citizen from the U.S.A, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, and South Africa.
  • Graduates for a Korean university who have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher are accepted if they graduated from high school or vocational college from a country with the native language. 

 2.    Ministry of education (middle, elementary and high school)
       ① Native English assistant teacher
          -A citizen of a native-speaking country who has obtained a bachelor’s degree from the country of origin.
          -For English; U.S.A, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, and South Africa. 
       ② English assistant teacher under the Korea-India agreement (CEPA)

          -A citizen from India who has obtained a bachelor’s degree or has an equal or higher education                           and a teaching certificate. (English major)

       ③ Overseas English volunteer scholarship student (TaLK) 

         -A citizen of a native English-speaking country.

         -A person who has completed university for at least 2 years, (in the case of British people 1 year)                         in the country of origin or graduated from a junior college or higher. 
        -Alternatively, a person who has received formal education in the relevant foreign language                                 (English) and has completed at least 2 years at a domestic university or graduated from a junior college              or higher. 
 3.    Spouses of professionals and non-English speaking international students

  • Spouses of E-1 ~ E-7 (E-6-2 NOT included) and international students (limited to Master of Science and engineering, Ph.D. or higher) who holds TESOL qualifications and a bachelor’s degree or higher.
  • TESOL is a training course that qualifies teachers from a non-native country to teach in non-English speaking countries. 

 4. Other qualifications documents

  • Certificate of education background. Choose one of the following (copy of degree certificate, certificate of degree acquisition, and certificate of graduation containing degree acquisition facts)
  • Apostille criminal background record issued within 6 months. (Must include records from across the country)
  • Clean self-health check.

See native instructor visa documents.



The Ultimate Explorer


Hello, my name is Jane. I have lived in Korea for 10 years now and I am here to give you the inside story of life as it is. Tips on how to correctly navigate through culture and some survival skills especially to newcomers.